If you are in a dispute with a company, a professional or somebody else in your own country or abroad, you may need to start legal action against the other party. First, you have to establish the competent court in your respective European Union (EU) country – Member States have different rules determining the areas of ‘competence’ covered by their courts.


The European e-Justice portal provides information to help identify the competent court on this webpage. For legal advice, you may wish to contact a lawyer.


This website is available in all official EU languages