If you want to practise your profession on a temporary basis in another European Union (EU) country, Iceland, Norway, or Liechtenstein you do not need to get your qualifications recognised. However, the national authorities may ask for a written declaration in order for you to practise your profession. If the profession involves a potential threat to public health or safety, your host country may want to check your qualifications in advance. This means you cannot start working until you have received formal authorisation.


These EU rules on professional qualifications (directive 205/36/EC) apply if you obtained them in one of the EU countries, Iceland, Norway or Liechtenstein. If you obtained them in a non-EU country, the national rules of the country where you file the recognition apply. For more information, contact the national contact point for professional qualifications in the country where you want to work.


This website is available in all official EU languages